Saturday, February 15, 2014

New teaching and Himalayan vistas

Hi everyone, here's another update for you. 

After a very busy week I'm back in a rather damp Kathmandu once agin! So what's been happening?

This week has seen some big changes to our teaching schedules. For a start, Rebecca and I are now teaching 3 classes solo a day! As we've now been teaching for almost 3 weeks we felt it was time to give as many classes as possible our time. I now take class 5 twice a day alongside class 7 just after lunch. Rebecca now takes class 6 twice a day along with class 4 mid-morning. Alongside this we're both taking an extra after school session on Tuesdays and Thursdays to help class 7 and 8 with their writing skills. I'm happy to say our first session on Thursday was fully attended and a big success! 

Lesson planning in the sun, one of the perks of having a balcony outside the staff-room! 

Rebecca with some of class 4 acting out their "class story" creative writing task 

We also taught for the first time at Basuki on Wednesday. The level of English here is much lower than at Singerey (as English is the students' third language! - alongside Nepali and the local dialect) so we're hoping to just increase their vocabulary alongside some basic writing and speaking. The walk to and from school offered some particularly special views this week, always a bonus considering the rather tricky route up and down the hill! 

Mid morning view over the Kathmandu Valley en route to Basuki 

Walking home from Basuki, I don't think many walks home in the world offer ciews like this! 

We arrived back in Kathmandu yesterday to meet Up with Sophie and Laura, who have just completed their first week of their placement in Godawari (around 10km west of us). We had a catch up and showed them around Thamel before heading to the Roadhouse cafe for Pizza. Much desired after Sophie and Laura's first week of Dhal Bhatt twice a day!

Not your average Valentines day meal! Me, Rebecca, Sophie and Laura enjoying a pizza at the Road House cafe. 

I missed home this morning but was soon having fun again :). After taking Sophie and Laura out to get some cash we grabbed some snacks and chilled in the hotel playing cards and enjoying some much needed down-time. Dinner tonight was at a small and lively Indian restaurant, discovered and thoroughly enjoyed last weekend by me and Rebecca following a recommendation by Lizzie. We tucked in to delicious Paneer masala (a soft Indian cheese in Masala sauce) along with some fresh garlic naan and some very welcome Masala tea (it peed down with rain for most of the evening!). 

For me, this week was a little challenging. Whilst I'm enjoying the teaching and spending time with my host family I sometimes find myself at a loose end in the evenings. Time does drag in the village when you've got nothing to do. On the upside, I'm truly appreciating the little things I take for granted at home; things like hot showers, 24 hour electricity and a well insulated house chief among them. All things considered though, I've enjoyed the challenge and am learning a lot about myself. I've gained a lot from my first month in Nepal (I arrived exactly a month today!) and can't wait to see what the next month has in store :). 

Tomorrow we part ways with Sophie and Laura to go back to our villages for another week. After the bustle of Kathmandu I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet in the village! That's all for this post everyone, hopefully see you next week :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment