Saturday, July 27, 2013

An update from Nimrod :)

Hi everybody. First of all apologies for not posting for a while. Computer access has been somewhat sporadic at the lodge over the last few weeks. So, here's an update on what we've been up to here in the sunny Golan Heights! Firstly, Carolyn and Jehn left 2 weeks ago. I was a bit gutted to see them go but I've no got 3 more volunteers to keep me company :).

A personal update first though. My cooking skills have also been coming along nicely, I now know how to cut up a whole chicken into the seperate bits plus general cooking is coming along well. 

Me and a fully cut up chicken :)
 I've also been keeping up with writing my journal, I usually take some time in the early evening to write it in my favourite spot on the lodge; the swing seat by the pool. The early eveing views are great :).
Wriritng my journal in my favourite spot :)
 
Anyway, enough about me. The last two weeks have been full of work both at the lodge and the building site. Alex, Dan and Dom have been a great help and work has flown by :). A recent day of work involved us sorting, painting and sanding some planks for Guy to take to the building site. Took us all day but a Bob Marley playlist from Dan got us through it :). 
 
Dan and Dom get some more planks from the lumber yard
 
"Need a hand there?" Dan cuts open a new wood pile whilst Dom and Alex look on

Dom and Alex get cracking with some plank painting

Job Done :) 164 planks painted and ready for sanding

Red enjoys her new favourite shady spot

But as is always the case, the weekend is never far away in Nimrod. On friday afternoon last week, we spent an afternoon by the pool soaking up the sun and catching up on some reading. Its a great way to relax after a hard week's work. Saturday saw us have a lie in until 10 in the morning before taking a walk into Mas'Ade for some much needed supplies. Shower gel and cash being chief amongst them.

Dom and Alex chill by the pool

No Saturday night is complete without an Eagle Beer :)
 
But sadly, the weekend doesn't last forever and it was back to work on Sunday. The routine is for our volunteer team to split up each day. On sunday, it was mine and Alex's turn to head to the building site. Dan and Dom would stay behind to do some gardening work at the lodge.

The morning briefing from Guy

Work at the building site has really come on. All the walls are up and the roof supports are in place. It was time for me and Alex to help with the final roof section.
The house, looking more homely now :)

Guy ponders his next move......
 
 
 Alex was put to work sanding some roof supports whilst me and Guy headed to the roof to put together the framework for the last section of roof.
Alex sands

Guy, Alex and Farras (a neighbour's son) assemble the last roof framework
 

 The day ended witht he roof ready to be put in place. Me and Alex headed home to find the latest batch of shopping ready to be unpacked. Its a great morale boost whenever the shopping arrives, kind of gives us hope for the next few days :).

 
The essentials :); beer, humus and Pita
 
The campsite has ben very busy these past few weeks so every evening we're dispatched to give it a quick tidy up and to restock the toilet rolls. Luckily, its not a hard tasl as Guy has given us free use of his pick-up to help us around the lodge and the campsite :). Its great to have wheels to help us with the heavy lifting :).
Me and Alex depart for the campsite in Guy's pick-up
 
The work on the garden is beginning to show aswell, regular watering by the volunteers has meant there will soon be tomotoes and lettuces aplently to eat at the lodge. New planting continues all the time, no doubt fresh peppers and a variety of herbs will be on offer over the next few weeks or so. 
 

Me watering the lettuces and peppers we planted last week
 
And last night, Guy gave us a special treat. A BBQ with plenty of beer :). It was great to take a break from cooking for a night and enjoy some time to get to know each other. Guy grilled diced chicken and beef well into the night and we didn't get to bed until 12:30!! 

(from left to right) Dan, Alex and Dom at the start of last night's BBQ

Me and the obligatory Eagle Beer

BBQ master Guy grills up chicken on the grill

Wow, we didn't drink that much did we?!
 

To finalise then, I've been thoroughly enjoying my time at Nimrod and the last few weeks have flown by. Alex, Dan and Dom will be leaving on Monday :(, it only seems like a few days since they arrived and I'll miss their company. I'm approaching the end of my time here in Nimrod, only 2 weeks left on Monday. There's plenty more work to do at the lodge so I won't be sitting still over my last few weeks :). Best I crack on then.
 
Thanks for reading everbody and I'll see you again next time.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, sounds like your having a great time, shame your new mates are off soon. Anynews ones on there way? I went to Johns last weekend,she sends her love. Couldnt show her yourblog as couldnt get onto wifi there. If at any time you want to email her, email me and I can print it off and post it to her.
    Hope that eagle beer is good and not too expensive!
    Have fun and keep up the good work.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sophie. There should be some more coming on tuesday I think so that'll be good. I'll try and sort out a message tomorrow and zap it to you. The Eagle Beer is amazing and FREE as Guy is buying it for us. Win win!!

    I'll be keeping up the good work, Guy will see to that.

    ReplyDelete