Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hanging out in Jerusalem :)

So, the time has arrived. I'm now half way through my time in Israel after 6 amazing weeks of volunteering in the Golan Heights. I was sad to leave the great people and places of the Golan behind but its now time for the next stage of my adventure to begin. Starting with 3 days back in the sunny city of Jerusalem :).

I got back to Jerusalem on Monday afternoon after 5 long hours on the bus. After an afternoon of unpacking and some much needed internet access I headed out for an evening walk down Jaffa street in search of an ATM. Wouldn't luck have it that I bumped into Yan (who I'd traveled back with that morning) coming back from giving the latest group of Go-Eco volunteers an evening tour of the Old City. A quick chat agreed that a trip to the bar was in order :). So after a quick change of clothes at the hostel I met up with Yan and a group of volunteers from the city zoo and we headed to the "Bell Wood bar" just off Jaffa street. What followed was a great evening of fun and stories with beer and burgers. After a great evening I left Yan in the hostel reception with promises of a meet up in Tel Aviv for drinks when i'm next avaliable. Arrangements made, I headed to bed at midnight after a very long day.
Me and the Go-Eco group at the "Bell Wood bar", great night out!
 Tuesday was a day off, so I had a lie in and took some time out for souvenier shopping in the Old City. After the cool mountains of the Golan, Jerusalem seemed like the Negev Desert! After a fairly chilled out day it was time for the hostel's evening event, the "meet the manager BBQ". Me and my new American room-mates headed up to the roof for an evening of burgers, beer and free Araq (an Arab liquor) and grapefruit cocktails. A good night at the hostel and more new friends made :).

The hostel roof on the night of the BBQ

Just chillin! Me enjoying a beer at the BBQ
 Wednesday was the day i'd decided to visit the Yad Vashem Holocaust museum, much recommended by many people i've met on my travels here. Situated on the slopes of Mt Herzl, it tells the full story of the holocaust from its beginnings, through to the individual chapters of its dark story and its end and repercussions around the world. It's a truly moving place to visit as the many objects from different chapters of the Holocaust make it a very humbling experience. It was a truly worthwhile visit and one I definitely recommend for any visitors to Jerusalem.

The Yad-Vashem Holocaust Museum
 After my late morning/afternoon visit to the museum it was time to get ready for the "Jerusalem Pub Crawl" organised by the hostel. After pre-drinks on the roof with a few room-mates we hit the town. Memories of the night are a bit blurry but I do remember rolling into bed around 4 in the morning (after starting at 9 in the evening!).
A pre-drink before the pub crawl whilst writing my diary
I woke up this morning slightly worse for wear, the ideal state to be in for A-Level results day!! Luckily my fears were unfounded and came away from the computer safe in the knowledge that I have a place at Plymouth university waiting for me next year :). After that weight was lifted, I started some admin for the next part of my adventure. Tommorrow I head into Bethlehem in the West Bank to start 6 weeks volunteer work :). I can't wait to start as it looks set to be another eye-opening and fun 6 weeks. Bring it on!

That's it for this entry, thanks for reading and see you next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment